You may use this work for commercial purposes.
You must attribute the creator in your own works.
This dataset was first added to Stats NZ Geographic Data Service on 21 Sep 2020.
This dataset contains information on:
· Estimated resident population (ERP) at 30 June 1996, 2001, 2006, 2013, and 2018 for total population
· ERP at 30 June 2018 by ethnic groups (European or Other (including New Zealander), Māori, Pacific, Asian, and Middle Eastern/Latin American/African) – estimates and percentage
· Sex ratio – number of males per 100 females
· ERP at 30 June 2018 by broad age groups and median age
· Geographies available are regional council areas, territorial authority and Auckland local board areas, Statistical Area 2, and urban rural.
Note: The geography corresponds to 2020 boundaries
Note: -999 indicates data are not available.
About the estimated resident population
The estimated resident population at 30 June in the census year is based on the census usually resident population count, with updates for:
· net census undercount (as measured by a post-enumeration survey)
· residents temporarily overseas on census night
· births, deaths and net migration between census night and 30 June
· reconciliation with demographic estimates at the youngest ages.
The estimated resident population is not directly comparable with the census usually resident population count because of these adjustments.
For more detailed information about the methods used to calculate each base population, see DataInfo+ Demographic estimates.
It is important to note that these ethnic groups are not mutually exclusive because people can and do identify with more than one ethnicity. People who identify with more than one ethnicity have been included in each ethnic group.
The 'Māori', 'Pacific', 'Asian' and 'Middle Eastern/Latin American/African' ethnic groups are defined in level 1 of the Ethnicity New Zealand Standard Classification 2005. The estimates for the 'European or Other (including New Zealander)' group include people who belong to the 'European' or 'Other ethnicity' groups defined in level 1 of the standard classification. If a person belongs to both the 'European' and 'Other ethnicity' groups they have only been counted once. Almost all people in the 'Other ethnicity' group belong to the 'New Zealander' sub-group.
This time series is irregular. Because the 2011 Census was cancelled after the Canterbury earthquake on 22 February 2011, the gap between the 2006-base and 2013-base estimated resident population is seven years. The change in data between 2006 and 2013 may be greater than in the usual five-year gap between censuses. Be careful when comparing trends.
Individual figures may not sum to stated totals due to rounding.
See Estimated resident population (2018-base): At 30 June 2018 for commentary about the 2018 ERP.
Subnational population estimates concepts – DataInfo+ provides definitions of terms used in the map.
Access more population estimates data in NZ.Stat:
Theme: Population estimates.
|Data type||Vector multipolygon||Feature count||88|
|Services||Vector Query API, Web Feature Service (WFS), Catalog Service (CS-W), data.govt.nz Atom Feed|